This is a primitive survival class and students are only allowed a very small list of items to bring to this class. We go over primitive shelters, additional fire making methods, advanced trapping and water procurements as well as spending more time on body temp regulation for various climates. You will learn how to live in the woods, not simply survive. There are set tasks for this class and a failure to complete these will result in failing the class. Children under 18 will only be allowed to take this class if they have been through both the Level 1 and 2 classes.
- Backpack (1x)
- Pair of good hiking boots
(Please break these in prior to class or you will not have a pleasant time.)
- Good full tang knife (1x)
- 6.5 inch or less cutting surface
(no Rambo knives please. If needed we can make recommendations.)
- Weather appropriate clothes and socks. (2-3 changes)
- Water container (1x)
stainless steel bottle with nesting cup. It must be non-insulated....that Yeti may explode.
- Ferrocerium rod (1x)
- Lighter or pack of matches (1x)
- Magnifying glass (1x)
- 100% cotton bandanas (2x)
- 10'x10' or less tarp (1x)
- Tent stakes (1x)
- 100' of paracord or a roll of #36 tarred bankline
- Compass (1x)
You must be able to point and aim the compass and it must have degrees marked on it.
- Journal and something to write with (1x) Carpenters pencils work quite well, as do space pens.
- Headlamp (1x)
Bring extra batteries and must have a red light setting
- Tent, hammock, etc - Shelter for the weekend
- Sleeping bag
Whatever you plan to sleep in but keep current weather in mind
- Food and Snacks
This will be your meals for the weekend. This means steak, bacon, or whatever. Keep in mind all meals are cooked over an open fire.
- Small Cooler
We will provide drinking water but small coolers are welcome
- First Aid & Medication
Bring any needed medications or first aid supplies for an outdoor environment. Sunscreen and lotion for poison ivy sometimes comes in handy.
- Toilet paper and / or baby wipes.
This is survival so "facilities" are primitive but there is an old school outhouse.
- Folding chair
- You will be out here for the weekend and you are basically camping so bring enough to be comfortable.